Thursday, July 05, 2007

Holiday 2007 - House for an Art Lover





In 1901, Glasgow’s most famous architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh entered a competition to design a ‘House for an Art Lover’. The competition was set by a German design magazine which sought entries to design ‘a grand house in a thoroughly modern style’, and challenged architects to develop ideas which were fresh and innovative. Mackintosh worked on his submission together with his wife, Margaret Macdonald. For the first time, Mackintosh and Macdonald were allowed complete freedom of artistic expression, their designs not conforming to client specification and demand.
Whilst the Mackintoshs’ entry was disqualified from the competition on the grounds of late submission, the designs were awarded a special prize for “their pronounced personal quality, their novel and austere form and the uniform configuration of interior and exterior.”


Charles Rennie Mackintosh's competition entry has been admired by scholars and Mackintosh enthusiasts alike over the last century. The urging of consulting engineer, Graham Roxburgh, led to the idea of building the House in the late eighties. His dream to build the House for an Art Lover became a reality in 1989 when building work began. However, recession in the early Nineties forced the project to be temporarily halted. Building work resumed in 1994, revived by a collaboration between Glasgow City Council and the Glasgow School of Art. Over one hundred years after the designs were first created, the House now stands completed in Bellahouston Park.


31 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow, they (hubby and wife team) were obviously free thinkers and ahead of their time! I'm sure the photos don't do justice to actually being there!

Is that a piano!??...fantastic!!

I wouldn't mind seeing it When we next come over! thanks for sharing!! :))

anna said...

I like this style ... I also love the Art Deco period....:))

Anonymous said...

I know you are wondering,, It is a bandwidth issue on Hoctors site. It comes and goes. TB

Peajay said...

Thanks TB, I checked yesterday that yours was doing the same and then found Hoctro had exceeded his bandwidth. I'm sure he'll sort it out.

anna said...

Nice to see your blog back to normal... Peajay... it went a bit 'wide' for a while!! :D

See your weather pixie has her brolly up again.... so has mine :((

anna said...

Like your guestbook btw.... I've copied it ... :))

Just call me a copycat if you want!! :D :D

Peajay said...

Hi Anna
Yes it went wide because the 3column template was hosted on another guys site and he'd maxed his bandwidth. I decided I'd had enough after a week and revamped the whole blog with a different template. A real pain as all the widgets have to be re-done. As to the guestbook, feel free. :D

Talking Bear said...

Hey there sweetheart! how are you doing, long time no hear. I am headed to Washington D.C. for a meeting over the weekend. I am sure my little woman will be blogging like a starved mouse. Anyway, I thought I would come by and say hi.......TB

Peajay said...

Hi TB
I will look out for the starved mouse and feed her some cheese. :D
I think you only go away in order to have the welcome home from your little squaw! ;)

Talking Bear said...

OOOHHHH YYYYaaaaaaaa

Peajay said...

That sounded way to much like enjoyment at the thought. You could at least make it sound like a trial. :DD

Talking Bear said...

It is what it is! And enjoyment may be a understatement....;)

Talking Bear said...

I will spare you the details. But distance does make the heart grow fonder........

Peajay said...

Oooh! You're leaving way to much to my fertile imagination. I'm going to place that thought into a little compartment and close it. :D
How is the nations Capital? Cooler than CA presumably. Do you get to sightsee on these out of town missions or is it closetted in conference rooms?

Melanie said...

Peajay,
nice navigation onto a not so naughty nuance.... ;D

I hear TB's been playing hooky from some of the classes!

Peajay said...

Really, surely not what you'd expect from a fine upstanding indian chief. What's the grapevine been saying he's been doing?

Melanie said...

Well, normally those of German descent are legendariously loyal to their labours....however, they've been known to have a dark side....that of prankster....see I have evidence...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/id/201404928

Not that I'm saying that TB is up to any tricks....but who knows what is going on in the Capital...

Talking Bear said...

Well, I was to busy having a good time with some great folks to get caught up with any pranks. D.C. is an incredible place to visit.

Melanie said...

and I'm grateful the monuments are all still standing.... ;)

anna said...

Well, the weather is looking a bit better today Peajay!! August Bank Holiday :)) Enjoy your hols in Ireland ... :) A place which is on my list to visit..... I've only made it to NI so far!! :D

ar muin capaill said...

Hi Peajay,

riding by, wanted to say 'howdy'!!! :D

Anonymous said...

You're a Dork. Loveable, but still a Dork. TB

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was for the one "ridin by".....

Peajay said...

I'm so glad you pointed that out TB or I may have started to worry. :D

Talking Bear said...

We couldn't be havin a cute las like you worry now. I was looking for a comment to my response. I am sure I did not win you over to my point of view that easy, ;) TB

Peajay said...

No you didn't but got caught up with decorating so too shattered to think through my reply. I'm working on it.

melanie said...

yep, I guess I'm just a loveable Dork!!! :D

Peajay, I can't wait till you're recovered, and back to the wit and quip!!!! ;DD

Talking Bear said...

OK, it is time for you to get out of your "funk" and get back to creating wonderful posts. Don't make me come over there and spank you.....LOL. ;)

Peajay said...

You can try.....!! :D

Talking Bear said...

Well aren't we frisky today. You would probably like it too much. LOL You may take it as positive affirmation for not writing, which, would accomplish the exact opposite of what I am trying to.

Peajay said...

Oh. I'm disappointed now. :D