Wednesday, December 05, 2007

What Love Means


What Love means to a 4-8 year old . . .
Slow down for three minutes to read this. It is so worth it. Touching words from the mouth of babes. A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds, "What does love mean?" The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined. See what you think:

"When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love." Rebecca- age 8
"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouth." Billy - age 4
"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other." Karl – age 5
"Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs." Chrissy - age 6
"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired." Terri - age 4
"Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK." Danny - age 7
"Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more. My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss" Emily - age 8
"Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen." Bobby - age 7
"If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate," Nikka -age 6
"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it every day." Noelle - age 7
"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well."Tommy - age 6
"During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore." Cindy - age 8
"My mommy loves me more than anybody. You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night." Clare - age 6
"Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken." Elaine - age 5
"Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford." Chris - age 7
"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day." Mary Ann - age 4
"I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones." Lauren - age 4
"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you." Karen - age 7
"Love is when Mommy sees Daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross." Mark - age 6
"You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget." Jessica - age 8

And the final one -- Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge. The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child.
The winner was a four year old child whose next-door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there. When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, "Nothing, I just helped him cry"

11 comments:

storyteller said...

Lovely list (no pun intended)
I especially like these:
--I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones." Lauren - age 4 (I wonder how long THIS definition will hold up?)
--"If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate," Nikka - age 6 (Methinks this kid is an old soul)
--"Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen." Bobby - age 7 (How do we teach THIS lesson to kids today?)
Thanks for sharing and, of course, ...
Hugs and blessings,

His Girl Friday said...

hey, your weather widget has a Christmas tree!!! :))

nice post!! :)))

Anonymous said...

Have you told your friends about my uncanny resemblance to your weather pixie?
Siân :)

Peajay said...

Thank you HGF. Pixie's obviously gone all festive, although sometimes I visit to find she's given herself the evening off and is replaced by a flag. You'd think she'd ask first. :D

I didn't like to mention it Siân, if they've viewed your web pages they'll realise for themselves that she was modelled on your visage. :DD
Many thanks for the call from your biggie, middlie, boy, he caught me half asleep from long, stressy day at uni. I'm glad he had such a good time. The plectrum works as I have tried them out for thickness etc. although mine was only on classical Spanish not rock school. ;)

Anonymous said...

Middlie big son absolutely adored your gift. Many thanks again.
Just thought you should know that I've rushed out to buy a bright green Santa outfit as I suspect there may be more money to be made as a weather pixie than a smith! Furthermore, I do actually share the same birthday as Michael Fish*, so I'm just off to sit in someone's blog and tell lies about the weather...
Siân

* And Sheena Easton - read into that what you will...

Peajay said...

Sheena Easton!!! Oh, no. Shouldn't you have been into the diminutive one a bit more than Andy?
I'm not sure about the job prospects for a Weather Pixie and I'm sure the job satisfaction doesn't match that of a Smith. If you should be set on this course though, could you not apply for a BBC job, they're rubbish with the weather. :DD

Anonymous said...

...although ITV does have a good track record of employing people called Siân.
Actually I was a Pixie Sixer in the Brownies, which is pretty cosmic.
Is it just mee, or is there a ley line round here?!!

Peajay said...

You surely can't be basing your decision on the employment record as per your name? :D
Siân Williams reads the news on BBC how about setting your sights higher and instead of porkies about the weather you could move onto humungous porkies about the government. :DD
I have no doubt as to your standing in the Brownies. ;) Did you continue on into the Guides or had you been drummed out by that time? :DD

Anonymous said...

I beg your pardon.
I did indeed graduate to the Guides and lasted all of six months. My good buddy Louise also left as she thought we were going to get blind dogs to look after(Blind Dogs for the Guides) and was desperately disappointed when they failed to materialise. I think she wished we hadn't spent so much time collect aluminium foil...

Peajay said...

Lifes disappointments started sooooo early for you. I can imagine there wasn't a roll of tin foil left in the shops in Louise and your urge to care for these poor, stricken dogs. I have always said that Dyslexia can be such a handicap and it clearly proved a major problem in your Guiding career. Dib-Dib-Dob-Dob. Yes, I know that's Scouts but 'Be Prepared' clearly wasn't a motto you felt able to subscribe to. :DD
Hope you're looking forward to the school hols. I am!! I had 9 phone calls today from my student who was bunking off at home for a change (as opposed to bunking off at Uni). :/

Anonymous said...

Not so much dyslexia as "not listening properly".
This "not listening properly" trait has lead to a number of amusing scraps.
At the age of 5, I successfully (if unwittingly) put about a rumour that Prince Philip was going to be taking assembly the following week. This rumour permeated round the mothers at the school gates until many people were waiting excitedly to see him materialise...
It turned out to be MRS Philips, our music teacher.
I also remember being "Mary" at the playgroup nativity and yet apparently being the last person to know. I'm sure I must have been told, but nonetheless was astonished to find myself sitting behind this curtain holding a dolly and wearing a blue tea towel on my head. Seconds later, the curtain opened and....there were all the parents! Amazing! I simply never saw it coming!
(Actually my MA graduation felt very similar!)
Oh, and life hasn't be disappointing at all - it is, after all, a state of flux - and you can only be disappointed if you expect everything to go your way.
As my very good Jewish friend says "Man plans - and God laughs!"
x