Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Do we make a difference?

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson
How many of us can say we make that much difference? Do we not go through life never looking left or right, just intent on our own problems? It's only when our lives are impacted by the actions of others that these questions come to the fore. I have called the police and ambulance service for a suicide attempt this week whilst keeping that person talking on the phone. I have called time on a friendship this week. But how much have I brought to those lives? Could I have done things differently?
I thought I'd share with you the beautiful Wisteria from my garden which has just finished flowering. I love the Spring with its myriad of colours, fresh and new with the promise of new hope for the year. Sometimes this new hope is just a mirror, reflecting what could be but not necessarily what is.

4 comments:

baby~amore' said...

that is a great quote and one I aspire too.
thank you for reminding us of this.
Your wisteria is beautiful.

Peajay said...

Thank you for visiting today Trish.

storyteller said...

Lovely photo of your Mom & Dad … hope their 48th anniversary celebration was wonderful! Beautiful photo of the lovely Wisteria from your garden here and perfect reminder (in the Emerson quote) of why we’re here on earth helping us rethink our priorities … timely for me … so thanks for sharing. I'm glad you were there for this person in their time of need ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Peajay said...

Thank you for visiting Storyteller, I guessed you were overdosing on tennis :D. We have Wimbledon coming up on June 23rd so I hope you'll be watching.